Our mission is to support, uplift, and advocate for our LGBTQ+ community at Cleveland State University.
CSU’s LGBTQ+ Student Services provides resources, education, and programming for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer or questioning (+) students and their allies. Every year, we educate our campus community and how to be ally through our Safe Space trainings, raise visibility of our community and allies with our Vikes with Pride Campaign, partner with partners on campus and beyond to create a network of support for our students, and celebrate our graduates at Lavender Graduation. Your support means so much!
Gifts to LGBTQ+ Student Services will directly support:
- Keeping the LGBTQ+ Center Open
- Our LGBTQ+ Center is completely staffed by a team of amazing student workers. Our center sees upwards of 40 students every day, and our student staff maintains a welcoming and affirming space for our LGBTQ+ students and their allies. All our student workers are paid $15/hour.
- Programming & Support Services
- Our student staff facilitates monthly student discussion events, game nights, and more for our community. Our mentoring program, Queer Peers, pairs students with new and/or questioning students to find support and community.
- Safe Space Training
- The Safe Space program strives to improve visibility and support for the CSU LGBTQ+ community by teaching participants what it means to be an ally, and discussing the way that faculty, staff, and students can actively contribute to creating/maintain a safe and inclusive campus environment for all.
- Lavender Graduation
- Lavender Graduation is a special ceremony to celebrate LGBTQ+ graduates. Started in 1995 by Dr. Ronni Sanlo at the University of Michigan after she was denied the opportunity to see her children graduate due to her sexual orientation. Lavender Graduation has grown into a national movement that takes place at hundreds of universities across the country. We honor and celebrate our lavender graduates every spring.
We hope you will consider supporting CSU's LGBTQ+ Student Services as we continue to provide resources and support for our LGBTQ+ students, faculty, staff, and allies.